Saturday, August 1, 2009

almost 36 hours

So, Kim and Pat came out to visit with us for a few days around Josiah's bday. We had a great time at his party (photos to come) then we got in the car and did the Tazmanian-Devil's version of Yellowstone: there and back in just under 36 hours. We left GR at 3am on Monday and pulled back into town at 2:30pm on Tueday, just in time to drop Kev at his dentist appt. Kim and Pat had never been there before so we got to play tourguides. . . our having been there once last summer makes us the experts, right? :)

It rained off and on the whole day so we bought sweatshirts . . . didn't think to pack cold weather clothes because it was crazy hot the day before we left. Silly Amy, you know WY weather is ridiculous. Josiah spent a bunch of time playing peek-a-boo from under the hood of his stroller. Apparently he can't be bothered with such natural wonders as geysers and hot springs. At least he was in a good mood.
We hit some of the highlights: Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic Spring, Heydon Valley where all the buffalo are, etc.
Honest to goodness I think we saw one of the oldest living buffalo on God's green earth. I still maintain he was one of the original two from the Ark.
At one of the turnouts there was parked this Yellowstone Jitney - "the rubbernecker bus" as my mom calls it - and no one was around so I took Gennie over for a photo.
Kev took a page from the Kodak School of Red-Shirt Photography . . . ask my mom and her sisters about that. :)
Overall the kids did tremendously in the car. I don't think they've been confined to their car seats for that length of time at once before. They each slept a bunch and Gennie spent quite some time upside down on her pillow looking at the clouds as they sped by - whatever keeps you busy, sister. We had a great time and it was fun being able to show Kim and Pat things they hadn't seen in real life before. Oh, and we hit an owl in Eden on the way there so that was exciting. Darn bird flew up from the oncoming lane just as we entered Eden and it hit the driver's side windshield - didn't make a crack, but left a schmear mark on the window from top to bottom - disgusting greasy beast. Oh well, one more for the list of animals we spotted! Thanks for the wonderful trip, guys! See you next year!

No comments: