Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What's with the Peasoup thing?



So, I decided I'd better explain the whole email address and blog name, etc, and why we chose pea soup for everything. When I (Amy) was a kid, we took short trips around CA on the long weekends, just to get out of the Bay Area hustle and bustle. On several of these trips, we ended up going thru the Solvang/Buellton area and there's an Inn there called Pea Soup Andersen's Inn. On the sign on the side of the building there is a huge picture of their mascots Hap Pea and Pea Wee (above) splitting peas for their famous split pea soup. More back story -- my maiden name was McConnell, very often confused with McDonald, and as a kid I was teased for being related to Ronald McDonald (even tho that wasn't even possible) so I dreamed that when I got married, I'd have a last name that didn't even come close to being confused with a fast food clown. Back to the peasoup thing -- Every time we drove past the sign I thought that it would be great to have a last name that came with mascots, something like Andersen's pea soup. Well, when I got to college and met Kevin Anderson - hey, he has a great last name - we got married and I was finally an Anderson. Granted, it's not the Danish spelling but it all sounds the same and that's what counts! We were trying to decide on a family email address and chose peasoup stuff because it reminds me of my childhood and Kevin cracked up when I told him the whole story.

Anyway, that's the story of the pea soup. And the funniest part to us is that neither of us can stand the sight or smell of split pea soup!

No comments: