Friday, February 15, 2008

So, the problem with absolutes is . . .

. . . they come back to bite you in the butt. I'm not a rigid person; I'm usually easy-going and welcoming of new things. But several times in my life I've taken a stand on something that I swore I would never do. And this week it bit me again. First I swore I would NEVER SHOOT DIGITAL. Here's a look at my workhorse:What a load that was. One shoot with my dad's Canon 20D and I was hooked.

The second was that I would NEVER DRESS MY DAUGHTER IN PINK.

Again, baloney. Too bad she looks really cute in all shades of pink. Granted, this is an old photo but pink just really goes well with her coloring even now. And of course she loves all things girly and princess-y.

And the last, and probably biggest since Kev wholeheartedly agreed, was I'll NEVER OWN A MINI VAN. Look what we bought this week:

So, now that we both feel sheepish, let the teasing commense. You get one minute. Let 'er rip.

Aaaannnnddd there's your minute. Now I'll tell the story. We've been looking . . . well, Kev's been looking and I've been tolerating the constant car talk . . . for something to replace his little beater 93 Geo Storm. He got it just to go to work and back and has had it for 3 years. I think it was a cat in its past life because only the additional 8 lives can be credited with keeping it running. He was to the point that he couldn't take it on the freeway for fear that it would just lose power and drift off the road. He was looking for an old pickup or something, again just to take to work one mile each way, but for the amount he wanted to spend there was hardly anything in cars or trucks. So Monday nite we pulled into the Nissan dealership in RS to see if the Lebaron he'd seen on their website was still there. Again, not at all what he wanted but better than his Geo. They had a 98 Mercury Villager in the same price range, awesome condition and only 84,000 miles on it. Long, long story short . . . we bought it. It took some convincing that mini vans aren't only for soccer-moms, etc, but we did it. He'll drive it for now since it's not 4WD and our roads are crappy right now, then I'll probably have it in the summer and he'll take the Blazer.

The moral of the story --- Be careful of absolutes. They just make you look stupid later on down the road.

No comments: