Tuesday, January 6, 2009

project 365

So, last year my sister and I did a scrapbooking project that we ended up calling Two By Two. We collected a bunch of plastic page protectors made for slides . . . they have individual slots in them that are 2 inches by 2 inches, hence the name of our project . . . and filled them with photos, one page for each week of 2008. I'm woefully behind on mine; she did much better and was all caught up when she came out for turkey day. But I'm determined to finish it out by my birthday . . . I'll keep you posted.

Anyway, this year I wanted to jump on the bandwagon with a bunch of my scrapbooking yodas and join in on the Project 365. In broad strokes the plan is that you take one photo a day for a whole year. There's a kit for it with all the stuff you need for a whole scrapbook but the company that produced it waaaaaay underestimated it's allure and on the day they opened it up for purchase online (it's an online-only company), not only did they sell out within the first few hours but there was so much traffic on their website with people trying to get the kit that the whole website crashed and was out of commission for 5 days. They are trying to get more kits produced but I guess they get them made in China and there is a 120-day turnaround time so who knows. I guess I'll just have to wait it out and see if I can get one of them from the second production. I'm kinda not holding my breath.

But . . . I still plan to take the photos and do the journaling, in hopes that I will get my hands on some kind of scrapbooking situation in which to collect them all at the end of the year. I checked eBay yesterday and several people "ended up with 2 kits" . . . ahhh, greed . . . which they were selling but for so much more than the original price, upwards of $200 more. I think I can wait.

All of this to say that I plan to post the chosen photos on here, both to share with you all and so that I can write down the info about the photos to help me remember why I shot them in the first place. The journaling part of scrapbooking is my suckiest part - I even hated putting captions on the photos when I edited my highschool yearbook. But I figure if I put them on here with a line or two about what was going on I have a better chance of actually remembering.

And so I begin. I decided to start on the first Sunday of the year because I hate starting a project in the middle of the week. This Sunday our Girl's Bible Study celebrated someone's birthday and we had them make and decorate cookies. Gennie is too young to be in the group yet but I got to take home the extras for her and Josiah and they were thrilled:Monday brought the return to preschool after the holiday break:

It was -4 degrees as we went out the door. Josiah was really lost without his playmate for the 2 1/2 hours she was gone. I think he really liked having her home everyday for those 2 weeks and he really wasn't ready for her to go. He wandered around getting into stuff he knows he's not allowed in, looking for something to play with but not wanting to do anything. I didn't know a 1 year old could get bored like this. When I told him it was time to go pick her up he screamed happily and bolted for the front room to put on his hat and gloves. I just laughed and was thrilled that they get along so well.

Two down, 363 to go!

No comments: