Friday, June 12, 2009


So, this week included a whirlwind trip to SLC. We finally got Kev a Dr's appt at the University or Utah . . . we've been wanting to establish a dr who will monitor his bone disease on a regular basis and help him out when he's having a flare-up . . . so we all piled in the car after work Tues and went over. We decided to stay the night before so the kids could go swimming at a motel and spend some time shopping before the actual appt. My parents came with to watch the kids during the appt so I could go with Kev and they took them out for sundaes and a fantastic work-out at a park . . . producing the above photo of the ride home.

The appt went ridiculously well, which was a nice surprise. We're so used to drs to haven't ever heard of the disease and usually end the visit with, "well, we're not sure how to proceed but if you have problems we'll see what can be done." This dr was the polar opposite of that, had actually heard of the disease before and had a pretty good understanding of how it works, and actually had a plan in mind of how to proceed. Although the disease can't be cured, she was willing to refer us to several other specialty drs (in addition to her), kind of forming a "cast of thousands" to monitor him. She requested a series of tests to be done after looking over his med history . . . no joke, it's over an inch thick, and that's just what we've collected since we've been married!! . . . to check out some things and x-rays to see what his bone condition is now as opposed to the last ones he had done in 2007. God totally cleared the way for us, too, because we were going to have to go back today to do all the tests and x-rays as that was the earliest appts available but while he was finishing up I called all the different departments and got him in for all the ones he needed at once! Funny, one of the x-rays showed that he has 2 extra vertibrae in his back! Not really a big deal medically but they sure thought it was interesting!

Anyway, the process has been started and we go back to SLC in a few weeks when the test results are ready to go over the findings and decide how to proceed. It was just so nice to work with competant people who actually show signs of being able to work with us. I'll happily spend 3 hours in the car for that!

Also of note, he goes in this Monday for the second moulding for a full set of dentures. He's been working well with the partial for some time but the anchor teeth are really loose as well as most of the ones on the bottom so they are just going to pull them all and be done with it. His dentist was really hesitant to pull the trigger and take them all but we just can't afford to keep doing partials for the next year until they are all so bad they have to come out. He's actually doing really well with all this . . . but it does suck to have to have dentures at 29. He is kind of excited at the prospect of not needing to see the dentist anymore once they are in . . . if they get a rough spot he can just take them out to the shed and smooth them down on the bench sander! (thanks for the idea, Jerrid!) :)

1 comment:

sinkthis said...

So glad your doc appoint's went well... nice when they actually understand your dilema, huh?! I relate to your desperation to find a great specialist, but it will (or has) happen(ed), and once you do... oh the relief! It's just takes away so much of that burden. Hope all continues to go well and the Lord contiunes to lead...
Kinda jealous of that no dentist thing; I HATE the dentist!!