Saturday, June 16, 2007

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there. I had to put in these two pix because they seemed to epitomize the two fathers I know best. (If I had a picture of Kev's dad I would have included it, too, but I don't have one . . . I'll remedy that when he gets here after Josiah is born!)
The first is my dad . . . and what better backdrop than a driveway and a snowshovel. He hates the snow . . . doesn't really like the cold . . . can't stand having to shovel . . . and yet if you add up the time we spent in Montana before they came to Wyoming he's been living in it for 14 years straight. He was born in Albuquerque, NM, and will always prefer the desert to anything white and wet. But what will always speak more to me than his immense dislike for winter is the fact that he's always put God's will before his own. It's always been more about where God has called him to be than where he'd like to set up shop . . . an important factor in the life of a minister . . . and God has always blessed him in each place. I know that on just about any given day Dad would rather be outside in the warm sun . . . and since 8 months out of the year the sun doesn't actually "work" here, that's not really an option . . . but since this is where the Lord has put him for now, this is where he is. He's been known to mutter under his breath . . . "You know, Lord, I didn't choose this, you chose me." . . . especially on days when he has to go to SLC and dreads the 3 hour trip on the freeway in a blizzard . . . but that just shows me he can still see God's sense of humor in life. He's taught me many lessons but I think this one will stand out to me forever. I love you, Daddy!

And this is my Kevin. Playing with his baby girl . . . one of his favorite things. When we first were dating we spent a lot of time talking about what we wanted out of life over the years to come, and one of Kev's biggest desires was to be a husband and father. He spoke often about how he wanted to work to keep the bills paid, but never so much that he wasn't home to enjoy just being with his family. We've always agreed that it's so much more important to have the time and memories with the family than the "toys" but no dad. A few years ago Kev was working with a guy who God used to teach him a tremendously valuable lesson . . . Kevin is not the provider for the family - God is. God will provide for us as He sees fit, and it's our responsibility to be wise with what we've been given. What a freeing idea!!! Kev tries so hard to keep this principle and it's been amazing to see how God has blessed him personally and us as a family because of it. Wow. I love you, Kev!

So there's my shout-out to the fathers this year. Hope you all have a fabulous day!

PS: In the photo of my dad . . . yes, that is a for-sale sign in the yard across the street . . . and yes, the real estate agent is named Doody. Hee Hee. Enjoy!

1 comment:

jered said...

Does it always have to denigrate to toilet humor with you?

I hope it does.